Cathedral School was founded in 1847, just five years after the formation of the first Catholic Diocese and Catholic Church in Mississippi. It has remained in continuous operation for 172 years. The school was originally staffed by the Daughters of Charity who remained on staff until 2003. Throughout the years, many religious women, brothers, and priests have ministered to the youth of Natchez. In more modern times, lay teachers have added their ministry to the educational program of Cathedral.
During the 172 years of education in Natchez, Cathedral School has led the way in all aspects of life and social change. The school has produced priests, sisters, brothers, business professionals, athletes, and others. Its graduates have gone to the finest institutions of higher learning in this country and have served this country in world conflicts, political areas, and education. Currently over 25% of the staff are graduates of Cathedral.
The Cathedral Family has a long and proud tradition in Catholic education.